Thursday, July 12, 2007

Private Archibald Sneddon, 8th Battalion, AIF.

Private Archibald Sneddon, no. 5231, 8th Battalion A.I.F.

He was born in Ballarat, Victoria, Australia. The son of William and Emily Sneddon, 8 Boyle Street, Ballarat East. (Father Deceased at time of enlistment).

He went to State School at Godden Point and was a Blacksmith by trade.

He served in the 7th A.I.R for five years prior to the war.

On the 29th January 1916 he enlisted at Ballarat East, Victoria, aged 38 years 1 month.
He was 5’ 11” in height, weighed 150 lbs, had blue eyes and dark hair.

1st April 1916 embarked at Melbourne on the Suffolk.
14th May 1916, He disembarked from the ‘Suffolk’ at the Suez for the 2nd Training Battalion.
31st May 1916 He embarked on the ‘Huntsgreen’ for England.
12th June 1916 he disembarked at Plymouth and proceeded to the 2nd Training battalion at Perhams Downs.
29th August 1916 sent to France, arrives the next day at Estaples.
10th September 1916 joins the 8th Battalion.

He was killed in action on 20th September 1917 at Polygon Wood aged 39.

The Red Cross reports of his death state the following:

“I knew the casualty, he was of medium complexion, slim build, 5’9” in height, 40 years of age, known as ‘Archie’. He went away with the 16th Reinforcements.
The casualty was taking part in an attack on a trench between two posts at Ypres, whena shell landed near him, a piece entering his body. We carried him out on a waterproof sheet, but he only lived for about 20 minutes. He died at Battalion Headquarters Clapham Junction, Ypres. We left him there and I do not know where he was buried.”
(C. Winchcombe, 7172,)

“On September 29th Sneddon , who was in B company was at Menin gate and went over for an attack on the German lines. I was just behind his company and while we were advancing the shelling was very heavy and Sneddon was hit by a piece of shrapnel and though I did not see him fall word was given to me by men of his won platoon that he was killed. There were a great number of casualties at the time and I am afraid there was no chance of his being taken out for burial and he must have been put under with a good many others on the spot.” (W. Whittington, 5256, 8.C.I.).

“We were dug into a trench and cramped for room so he jumped into a shell hole alongside us, at Polygon Wood and half an hour after a German shell landed fairly in the hole, and he was badly wounded. He was carried away and died at the dressing station. We had gained the ground and were consolidating.” Description – tall, dark moustache, thin. (Lieut. Hall, 8th AIF).

“I knew the casualty, he was a tall man, slightly built, dark complexion, about 30 years of age, known as Archie. He was advancing on Polygon Wood, I was in the same advance, an High Explosive shell exploded near the casualty, killing him instantly. I saw him fall and I passed his body as I was going forward. He was most severely wounded about the face, but I do not know where he was buried.” (J. Boot, 5342).

Buried in Tyne Cot Cemetery, Passchendaele, Belgium.

Source - National Archives of Australia

No comments: