Monday, August 10, 2026

A Real War Began


 This extract comes from "Breaking the Road for the Rest" by Lieutenant WD Joynt VC 8th Battalion AIF and talks about his experience in the trenches around Ypres in late 1916.


I was officer of the watch one day when a German minenwurfer suddenly came over - the front was a particularly quiet one, not a shot being fired by either side when this happened. Immediately, thinking of the instruction by the previous occupants of the trench system, I made my way to the trench mortar battery attached to us and ordered the officer in charge to fire three trench mortars over at the enemy, which was done. This was followed by the enemy firing back three mortars at us. "Fire back nine more!" I ordered and over they went. When the Germans retaliated by firing about twenty minenwurfers at us. This made such a noise that our artillery in the rear opened fire thinking an attack was taking place. In turn, apparently thinking the same thing the Germans opened up and in a short time guns on both sides all along the line were strafing each other and a real war began, lasting for about an hour before it gradually died down. Much damage was done to the trenches but fortunately, strange as it may seem, we suffered no casualties so I had nothing on my conscience. But wasn't I told off by my company commander! Needless to say I didn't repeat the performance. I wasn't too popular with the trench mortar battery people after that either for, though they suffered no casualties their gun emplacement was blown to be bits and had to be rebuild.

No comments: