Monday, December 22, 2008

Christmas 1915 - A Story at the ANZAC Dinner.

This article appeared in The Times on 27th December 1915.







Sir George Houstoun Reid, GCB, GCMG, KC (25 February 1845 – 12 September 1918) was an Australian politician, Premier of New South Wales and fourth Prime Minister of Australia. He was also a very large man both in statue and personality and it was said he was well liked by the men.



A Story at the ANZAC Dinner

Six hundred wounded Australian soldiers were entertained at dinner at the Hotel Cecil on Christmas Day by the Australian War Contingent Association. Sir George Reid occupied the chair and others present were Lady Reid and Lady Birdwood, the Hon. F.W. Young (Agent-General for South Australia) and Colonel Buckley (Military Advisor to the Commonwealth Government in London).

Sir George Reid in proposing “Success to our Empire and Allies” said, “I met Sir Ian Hamilton in one of the clubs and told him I wanted to go to the front. I told him I wasn’t much of a walker, that when I went shooting I nearly shot myself and that when I got on a horse I didn’t know whether I should get off when I wanted to or not. But I said, Why can’t you let me go to the front as an armoured fort?” (Laughter).
Sir Ian looked at me up and down and said, “Well, Sir George, I don’t think we could send you to the front as an armoured fort, but I think we might make a base of you.” (Laughter)."

For more information on Sir George Reid - http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A110362b.htm

No comments: