This story appeared in The Times on 28th December 1915. It was just too good to pass by.
I will let the reader make up their own mind to the real events. My money is that Mrs. O’Connor was ‘entertaining’ Mr Goulding and her brother found out about it and she made up this amazing story.
Enjoy.
Alleged Impersonation
Story of Wounded Soldiers Wife
"At Widnes yesterday, John Goulding, South Lancashire Regiment, was charged with an offence against Elizabeth Ann O’Connor.
A police-superintendent said the woman was standing at her door on Christmas Day looking out for her husband, who had been wounded at the front and was expected home.
Suddenly the prisoner pushed past her into the house saying, “I am your husband Matt. I have been travelling all day.” When she said he was not like her husband, about the face, he said,” I have been wounded here,” indicating the forehead. Two children of O’Connor’s were called “Queenie” and “Sonny” and the prisoner addressed them by those names. During tea he talked about family matters.
After the accused had retired to bed O’Connor’s brother came in and insisted on seeing him, but Goulding refused to get out of bed and covered himself with clothes. A struggle followed, other relatives arrived on the scene and in the confusion the accused escaped.
When charged the accused said, “I don’t remember anything. It is surprising how a woman can mistake her husband.”
Goulding was remanded."
No comments:
Post a Comment