I have lived in Eastbourne for a number of years and have often visited Hampden Park. If I am honest I have not paid much attention to the War Memorial there.
A couple of weeks a go I stopped and i took these pictures of the Obelisk. Eventually I hope to find some details of the men whose names are engraved upon it.
A couple of weeks a go I stopped and i took these pictures of the Obelisk. Eventually I hope to find some details of the men whose names are engraved upon it.
On 5th January 1920 the people of Hampden Park erected their own War Memorial, an obelisk in Hampden Park on the west side of the Rosebery Avenue exit, it was unveiled by the Mayor.
Men Mentioned on the Memorial:
1 comment:
The Friends of the Hampden Park identified the fact that the memorial in the park needed restoring and renovation and sought a sponsor. One was found in Serenity Funeral Services of Eastbourne and the Friends are delighted to be able to announce that this work has now been completed and a service of rededication will take place on Saturday 28th March 2009.
The service will be conducted by Rev. Howard John and the Lord Lieutenant of East Sussex will read from Revelations and lay a wreath.
The Friends of the Hampden Park have sourced some local families related to those commemorated on the memorial and they have been invited to the service. Also attending will be the Mayor, the MP, the Leader of East Sussex District Counclil, the Leader of Eastbourne Borough Council, local Territorial Army, British Legion, Salvaton Army, cadets, cubs, scouts, youth groups, school representatives, members of the Friends, the public and many other groups from Hampden Park will send representatives.
If you want to find out more about the Friends of the Hampden Park plase email friendsofhampdenpark@hotmail.co.uk
Post a Comment