Private Richard Fry, 12th Battalion, Royal Sussex Regiment.
He was the son of Jesse and Mary Ann Fry, was killed on 30th June 1916 aged 23. He is buried in St. Vaast Post Military Cemetery, Richebourg-L’Avone and is commemorated on the Hampden Park Memorial.
The Eastbourne Gazette on 9th August 1916, gave this report:
“One of the brave men who fell in the “Great Push” was Private R. (Dick) Fry of Hampden Park. He was educated at Willingdon Church School and previous to joining the Southdown’s was employed at Moffat’s Bazaar, in Seaside Road.
Private Fry formally resided with his sister (Mrs. G. Goldsmith of Hampden Park), who has been the recipient of the accompanying letter from Lieutenant Robinson, which has since been confirmed by official War Office intimation of death.
“Kya Lami, The Greys, Eastbourne, July 1916,
Dear Mrs Goldsmith. – I am very much afraid your brother R. Fry was killed on June 30. I spoke to a man who was quite near to him when he fell and I think there can be no doubt about it. He volunteered to act as my runner during the attack and I hope it may be some small consolation to you to know that he died doing his duty to his King and country like a soldier and a gentleman.
Before I took over the company he was in my platoon (No. 3) and I have many times asked him to accept promotion by the never would, although I know he would have made an excellent N.C.O. Please accept my deepest sympathy. –
Yours very truly.
Harold C T Robinson.””
No comments:
Post a Comment