Friday, March 07, 2008

4th Sussex Bty, RFA special correspondant.

This article in the Eastbourne Gazette from May 1915, gives a small insight to some of the frustration felt by territorial soldiers who were sent to India to replace Indian troops sent to the Western Front. The 4th Sussex RFA came from and was stationed at Eastbourne before the war, and was part of the 44th (Home Counties) Division.

Sussex RFA in India

A correspondent writing with the 4th Sussex RFA (Territorials) in India writes: “This daily work goes on and we seem to have been here for years. Even the rumours of bringing us back to the front have died out and we seem to have settled in Jullundur for the present at any rate. I hope to make a brief journey to Agra and Dehli and see some of the fine buildings. It is hot (102 degrees in the shade) as I sit and write. I can see sleeping forms stretching about in the rooms beyond, so I think I must finish and have a little siesta.”

(JULLUNDUR, or Jalandhar, a city of British India, giving its name to a district and a division in the Punjab. The city is 260 m. by rail N.W. of Delhi. Pop. (1901), 67,735. It is the headquarters of a brigade in the 3rd division of the northern army.)

No comments: