
Private Walter James Homer, 106, 3rd Pioneer Battalion, A.I.F.
Private Homer was born in Selsey on Sea and arrived in Australia aged 20. His parents were Charles and Ellen Homer, 2 Richmond Villas, Selsey-on-sea, Chichester, England.
He enlisted on 16th February 1916 aged 22, his occupation given was that of Station Hand and his address; 48 Melville Road, Hawthorn, Victoria.
He was 5’ 10” tall, weighed 142 lbs had blue eyes and brown hair.
He embarked from Melbourne, Victoria, on board HMAT A62 ‘Wandilla’ on 6th June 1916.
He was killed in action on 6th September 1918, aged 24.
He is buried in Tincourt New British Cemetery (Plot X, Row D, Grave No. 10), France.
1 comment:
I'm looking up some of my family and I believe I had a Great Uncle (R.F MacGregor, not certain about that though.) who was in the 3rd pioneers and died of wounds on the 27th August. They both lucked out.
Post a Comment