I like to give all poetry a good chance here at Out of Battle. Anyway this poem from an L.A.J. was republished in the British Nursing Journal on February 19th, 1916. I can’t decided if I like it or not, but I do find it interesting!
TO ALL BRAVE MEN:
They wind along in endless fours,
From every shire from Thames to Dee;
I know that uniformed in brown,
They all go East to fight for me.
More than a year has passed, and still
The air I breathe is fresh and free;
I know above, like tireless hawks,
Soar those who hold that air for me.
Where far away white horses leap,
Where sky and wave in one agree;
I know that there those fearless ride
Who curb these snowy steeds for me.
A sheeted and a shotted load
Slides swiftly to the heaving sea,
I know the ocean holds in trust
Some sailor-man who watched for me.
Rough crosses rise in Flanders, France,
And climb each hill, and dot each lea;
I know they mark the nameless graves
Of those who countered death for me.
But this I know not, when will fade
From Honour’s Roll, and cease to be,
Those gallant gentlemen’s renown,
Who watch, and fight, and die for me!
L. A. J. in the Glasgow Herald.
1 comment:
I see why you posted that.
Good one.
Post a Comment