Tuesday, February 22, 2011

To All Brave Men

This little poem was published in the British Nursing Journal on February 19th 1916

The author is a L. A. J. who had this printed originally in the Glasgow Herald.


TO ALL BRAVE MEN:
They wind along in endless fours,
From every shire from Thames to Dee :
I know that uniformed in brown,
They all go East to fight for me.

More than a year has passed, and still
The air I breathe is fresh and free;
I know above, like tireless hawks,
Soar those who hold that .air far me.

Where far away white horses leap,
Where sky and wave in one agree;
I know that there those fearless ride
Who curb these snowy steeds for me.

A sheeted and a shotted load
Slides swiftly to the heaving sea,
I know the ocean holds in trust
Some sailor-man who watched for me.

Rough crosses rise in Flanders, France,
And climb each hill, and dot each lea;
I know they mark the nameless graves
Of those who countered death for me.

But this I know not, when will fade
From Honour’s Roll, and cease to be,
Those gallant gentlemen’s renown,
Who watch, and fight, and die for me !

L. A. J. in the Glasgow Herald.

No comments: