Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Harefield Park - in 1915.

This article from the British Nursing Journal dated 24th July 1915, gives a good description of how the rooms and beds were set up at Harefield Park.


“AUSTRALIAN HOSPITAL AT HAREFIELD PARK.

Harefield House, the first Australian Auxiliary Hospital, at Harefield Park, near Uxbridge, is one of the splendid gifts placed at the service of the mother Country by the Commonwealth of Australia and the generosity of those having ties with Australia, notably Mr. Billyard Leake, to whom the loan of the house is due.

The house is some five miles distant from Uxbridge, but a drive in golden sunshine through the lovely country, past cottages where periwinkles grow in the hedgerows, and through a countryside steeped in peace, is some compensation for the slowness of the only available conveyance, and the tendencies of its horse to return to Uxbridge instead of proceeding to Harefield Park.

As the Jehu admitted subsequently, “he is getting old and artful, like myself.” But at least one’s enjoyment of the surrounding loveliness is prolonged, the only reminder of war being an aeroplane poised like a bird in the clear ether.

Harefield House is a handsome, substantial, square house, in the centre of the park, overlooking a peaceful lake, and as great a contrast as possible to the stress and tumult of the war zone, from which those for whose service it has been prepared with so much care have lately arrived. Adjoining the central hall are the rooms where stores are received and sorted, and the operating theatre, spacious and well arranged, with a large window overlooking the garden. The wards are on the first floor, where the rooms, of varying size, form the four sides of a square, round a central wall, and all open into one another. One overlooking the lake is specially charming. The Matron, Miss Ethel Gray, of the Australian Army Nursing Service, greatly appreciates the beauties of the place, both as a feature in the treatment of the patients who come under her care, and as an enjoyable element in her own life and that of the Sisters.

The hospital, the capacity of which was originally 50 beds, has now been extended to the regulation size of a military hospital, containing 520, and huts have been erected in the grounds close by, with well-arranged offices and extra kitchens, although in the house itself the kitchen staff can cook for over 300.

A hospital of this size needs large supplies, and the Australian Red Cross Society has given no less than 1,460 blankets, 1,403 pillow-slips, besides socks, shirts, housewives, and Mrs. Collins, wife of Captain Collins, Secretary for the Commonwealth, has sent pyjamas, shirts, bandages, dressing gowns, and writing pads, all much-appreciated gifts. Amongst the visitors to the hospital have been Sir Edmund and Lady Barton, who brought welcome gifts of cigarettes.

The nursing staff working under Miss Gray wear the distinctive uniform of the Australian Army Nursing Service.

The unit, of which Captain Southey is Medical Officer and Miss Gray Matron, is under the general direction of Sir George Reid, the High Commissioner for Australia.

Recently Mrs. Rita Fiske gave a tea and entertainment to the patients which was greatly appreciated."

No comments: